Thoughts of: Ghost Hunting

The K2 meter blinked up a light in the young girl’s hand.

“Is there anyone with us tonight?”  Maria called out in the night.

The K2 went down a light and immediately jumped two points in response to the question.

“There it goes again!”  The girl exclaimed in delight.

Welcome to my ghost hunt courtesy of Bucket List Publications and GhoStAugustine.

A few months back, Lesley Carter, creator of Bucket List Publications posted a request for readers to make a wish list of things they wanted to do and send it in.  She would pick some and make them happen.

Feeling frisky I thought, “Why not?” and posted my very first Bucket List.

Imagine my surprise when the very next day I received an e-mail stating that Lesley was going to make one of my choices happen.

She spent the next three days trying to get two other items for me, but the choices I picked just happened to play dead at that moment.  (I guess they kicked the bucket.)  Their websites were up, but there was no schedule available, nor a person to talk to.  Undeterred, Lesley went through my list again and was able to get in contact with the people at GhoStAugustine Tours.

Two more e-mails to me and everything was set.  My wife and I were off to America’s oldest city in search of spirits.  (Outside the bars.)

Finding the place was easy, though a little odd at first.  When you get to St. Augustine, you want to go to the Heritage Walk Mall (162 St. George Street) and go into “Beerhammer’s” beer gear store.  That’s where we collected the tickets for the ghost tour.

Beerhammer’s is chock full of ghost hunting equipment and memorabilia. From K2 meters, to voice recorders, to TAPS t-shirts, you can get your gear at one place.  (Trivia fact:  GhoStAugustine supplied TAPS with the K2 meter they used when they investigated the St. Augustine lighthouse.)

The lighthouse was the first stop on our tour.  My wife and I piled into the hearse along with another couple, their 14-year-old daughter, and the companies new employee.

(Maria wants every employee to do a tour so they can experience things for themselves and be better able to describe what happens and, more importantly, what to expect.)

Maria has also brought Dr. Larry Statford on this investigation.  The gentleman is calm but carries a strong passion for the paranormal.  He also carries a microphone and speaker so you can hear his normally very soft voice.

I should also better introduce Maria here.  Maria Rivero is an outgoing lady with bright smiles and great stories. Being a licensed Historic and Paranormal Docent, she leads us through the investigations.

At the lighthouse she tells us the history of the place, the people who first lived there, and the tragic story of the girls that died while riding on a cart.  The cart was similar to that of the type used in coal mines, but on a track above ground.  It was used to bring supplies to the build site and had its brakes taken off for repair.

The girls didn’t know.  They just jumped in it like they always did and took off.  It would be their last trip.

We went around the front of the house, asking if anyone was with us.  Finding nothing, we moved to the back and closer to the lighthouse itself.

There we were informed of how the fuel used to light the lantern was carried up the stairs by bucket.

“They didn’t use a hoist or pulley?”  I cried in dismay.

She explained that it would be installed after months of carrying heavy buckets of fuel to the lantern step by step.

As I stood in disbelief from this unnecessary amount of work, Dr. Statford took my picture. Right next to me floated an orb.  It was about the size of a cantaloupe and pale white as the moon.

I don’t have a copy of that picture, but I do have a different picture that seems to have lots of orbs.  The big one in it looks to be about the size of the one that was next to me.

Maria suggested that everyone look around an oak tree for orbs since it was known as a hot spot for sighting them.  My wife and I didn’t see any, but the 14-year-old girl got many hits off her K2 meter.  Evidently the one of the girls that died had taken to her and hung around until we got back in the hearse.  There were no electrical lines around and we weren’t neat any streetlights when the K2 blipped.  It was interesting to say the least.

 Our next stop was the St. Augustine National Cemetery.  In the middle of the large collection of headstones stood three low pyramids.  These were the communal headstones for the soldiers that fought and died in the first Seminole Indian war.  Maria explained that there were 2,000 soldiers buried under each pyramid.

I personally found it impolite to be checking for ghosts at a cemetery and was glad to find no activity there.  To me, people at rest should be allowed to rest.

Rest was the last thing to happen on our last stop.  We had the lucky chance of being able to go inside Ms. Caroline’s Guest House.  A bed and breakfast well-known for its paranormal activity.  Usually the place is full with guests, but tonight it was empty and we were free to explore.

We first went to the study and immediately started asking questions.  The K2 went off with every question, sometimes spiking into the red.  My wife put her meter on the table and it moved for the first time since she had it.  She was very impressed.

I took a few pictures in that room to see if anything would show and did get a great picture of the K2 spiking.

After 15 minutes of questions, we moved upstairs into the guest rooms.  Our first room was used as an infirmary and had the picture of the resident nurse on the wall.  There was also a huge four-post bed that took up a lot of space in the room.  I kicked one of the posts hard enough to break my toe if I had hit it with the front of my foot instead of the side and the bed did not move.  The posts were about six inches in diameter and the bed has got to weigh in at over 100 pounds.   That thing is just not moving!  But after I kicked it, the picture of the nurse fell off the wall and separated from the frame!  I’d love to say it was because the kicking of the bed pushed on the wall causing the picture to fall, but the picture was on the wrong side of the bed.  It was on the side that would have pressure released if the bed moved.  IT also didn’t happen immediately after kicking the bed.  It wasn’t kick-fall-boom, it was kick-ow!-move-wait-fall-boom.  There definitely was a gap of time between the kicking of the bed and the falling of the picture.

Needless to say we got some good K2 hits in this room.

The same was for the next room where a little girl used to stay.  I didn’t kick any furniture in that room, but the K2 still blinked as Maria held it in her hand.  Again there were no electrical devices near her when this happened.

The last room we went into was Mr. Kennedy’s study. I only remember his name for two reasons.  One, he’s a flirt with the ladies and two, he likes a good cigar.

Mr. Kennedy has a reputation for, um, “getting physical” with the ladies.  Basically copying a feel when he can.  I call it a cheat when the ladies can’t slap you back for being inappropriate.  He behaved himself that night and no one was harassed.

I did get a great “conversation” though.  Having heard he liked a good cigar, I had to ask some questions. It has always bugged me how on “Ghost Hunters” the investigators always limit themselves to yes or no questions and never go deeper into the spirits personality.  Especially when using a flashlight on a military place.  The guys know morse code.  Have them reply in that to get a real answer for crying out loud.

But I digress.

So I wanted to show how to use the K2 in a way that isn’t just yes or no.

I took for granted it was Mr. Kennedy and not someone else.  I also figured he was happy to see us and didn’t want us to leave.  I asked him about cigars. I broke it down into “A” or “B” questions.

“Do you like mild cigar?”


“Do you like a strong cigar?”


“Do you like an easy draw?”


“Would you like a hint of citrus with it?”


I looked at Maria and told her to get Mr. Kennedy a Hampton Court Café Macanudo cigar.

And that was our tour.  I took one lastpicture of the bed and berakfast just to see if anything would appear.

We left that night with a feeling of discovery.  We never felt threatened and were never scared.  We did have a few moments of surprise which was great and I highly recommend the trip and GhoStAugustine to anyone wanting to try their hand at ghost hunting.  And if you aren’t into ghosts, I still recommend St. Augustine and Miss Caroline’s Guest House.  The architecture and the history is worth checking out.

So get on that bucket list and send it in to Lesley Carter at Bucket List Publications.  Who knows.  You might be on your own adventure before you know it.


  • GhoStAugustine
  • 162 St. George Street (Heritage Walk Mall)
  • 1-877-SCARY-74
  • 904-824-8840

Bucket List Publications

We want to offer readers the opportunity to live their life to the fullest. One lucky winner, each month, is selected to make one bucket list dream a reality. We do all the planning and the writing, leaving the adventure and accomplishments to you.
Submit your bucket lists to: Put “Bucket List” in the subject line. Include your name, blog address, current city/town & country See for an example bucket list.
The quote, “The purpose of life, after all, is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experiences,” (Eleanor Roosevelt) describes our goals perfectly.

Contributions can be made at:

9 thoughts on “Thoughts of: Ghost Hunting

  1. Pingback: Swimming with the sharks and other zany ideas. | Thoughts, Ramblings, and Daydreams

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.