I was very surprised to read that a great writer, Karcherry, who blogs Random, untrue invited me into the WIP Challenge. If you’ve never read her blog, I hoghly recommend it. It’s a good read. I had no clue what the WIP Challenge was, but luckily Karcherry explained it in her latest blog post. (Thank you KC!)
The challenge is fairly straight forward. All you do is answer some basic questions. Sounds easy enough to me. Here we go.
1. What is the title of your book/WIP?
1A What is it about?
A Florida adventure set in roughly 1884
2. Where did the idea for the WIP come from?
This is going to sound bad, but after trying to write children stories and realizing that it was not my genre, I chanced upon, “The Quick and the Dead” by Louis L’Amour. I read roughly three paragraphs before yelling, “This is horrible! I can write a western better than this.” So I challenged myself to prove it.
3. What genre would your WIP fall under?
Western – Adventure
4. Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
Yikes! Now there’s a challenge.
Travis Morgan – I’d say Aaron Eckhart, but he’s just a touch too old. maybe Ewan McGreggor
John – Giovanni Ribisi
Father Cunningham – Gary Oldman
Mother Sozi – Gina Torrs
5. What is the one sentence synopsis of your WIP?
A man who pays the price for standing up for what he believes in.
6. Is your WIP published or represented?
Not yet. It’s still in the second editing phase.
7. How long did it take?
The first draft? About three years.
8. What other writings/WIPs, within its genre, would you compare it to?
9. Which Authors inspired you to write this WIP?
Ursula K. LeGuin, Louis L’Amour, and Stephen King
10. Tell us anything else that might pique our interest in this project.
This is a western like no other. There is no glamorizing of violence. It is real, vivd and ugly. It goes through the emotional costs of having to deal with it when you are the one that caused some of it. Not a book for kids. Not at all. But a great book for those in highschool and beyond.
Who do I want to tag in?